Sunday 27 February 2011

so much for the weekend...

Well, I had grand plans of doing some side work on the memory research this weekend, but some medication complications have left me sleepless and therefore rendered me essentially useless. Today I wanted to at least do something fun, and decided to make a good dinner...and what's a good dinner without a good drink to go with it?

They had some good looking wild-caught alaskan sockeye salmon at the market yesterday, so I picked some up and decided to make this really tasty recipe for Orange-Roasted Salmon with Yogurt-Caper Sauce, although I added some grapefruit zest and chopped fresh thyme to the seasonings - a modification I added the last time I made it, and it turned out excellent. As a side, a friend of mine turned me on to this awesome Poblano Potato Salad from the "Mexican Made Easy" show on Food Network. It's simple and really delicious (and I am *not* a potato salad fan).

The grapefruit zest reminded me of these excellent ruby grapefruits I picked up at Whole Foods, and so I decided I wanted to incorporate the juice somehow. I like the taste of Bombay Sapphire with grapefruit juice, so I started looking around for recipe inspirations. I found a few recipes with combinations of bombay, grapefruit juice, orange liqueur, and lemon juice, and had an idea. Orange Liqueur, even Cointreau, gets too sweet and syrupy for me pretty quickly...I can't take much in a drink. But I knew what I had in my fridge, and decided to make a substitute - a rosemary-citrus simple syrup. Here is the recipe for the syrup and the drink I made:

rosemary-citrus simple syrup

1/4 cup water
1/4 cup sugar
1 T fresh rosemary (coarsely chopped)
1 stalk lemongrass (coarsely chopped)
juice of 1/2 lemon
1 T orange zest
mix ingredients in a small saucepan, bring to a boil, and simmer until reduced. strain and cool.

grapefruit 'tini

1 T (1/2 oz) rosemary-citrus simple syrup
1 shots (1.5 oz) fresh squeezed strained grapefruit juice (ruby)
3 shots (4.5 oz) bombay sapphire gin

muddle luxardo cherry in bottom of martini glass. add ingredients above to a cocktail shaker with ice, shake and strain into martini glass. garnish with fresh rosemary sprig.

Yeah, I feel a little guilty for not getting any RE or memory work done this weekend, but everyone needs a little time off sometime, right? ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment